European Office for Wine, Alcohol and Spirit Drinks (BEVABS)
BEVABS (Bureau Européen des Vins, Alcohols et des Boissons Spiritueuses - European Office for Wine, Alcohol and Spirit Drinks), has a specialised laboratory that aims to ensure correct implementation of EU wine quality legislation.
The Laboratories are equipped with:
- Two Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectrometers 500MHz and 400MHz equipped with several probes, sample changers, high throughput system (BEST), LC-NMR device and modern processing software (e.g. AMIX for study of NMR spectra of complex matrices)
- Two Isotopic Ratio Mass Spectrometers equipped with several devices:
- Elemental analyser (13C, 15N)
- Equilibration device (18O, 2H in aqueous products)
- Gas Chromatography / Combustion/ Pyrolysis (13C, 15N, 18O, 2H)
- Total Combustion device for 18O in organics and mineral
The NMR and isotopic methods are also applicable for the control of origin of food products in general and more specifically for the characterisation of quality agricultural products such as Protected Designation of Origin (PDO), Protected Geographical Indication (PGI), Traditional Speciality Guaranteed (TSG).