Call for expressions of interest - ECVAM Stakeholders forum (ESTAF)
Open Invitation addressed to stakeholder organisations
|Contact Name||ECVAM, ESTAF|
To strengthen participatory approaches supporting communication and cooperation with the stakeholder community, ECVAM (the European Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods, hosted by the IHCP) is now creating the ECVAM Stakeholder Forum (ESTAF) which will bring together ECVAM’s non-governmental stakeholders (e.g. industry associations, civil society / non-governmental organisations and research foundations & organisations).
ECVAM’s relation with its stakeholder is reciprocal: ECVAM-validated methods help stakeholders comply with regulatory requirements as laid down in EU legislation, provide them with mechanism-based and robust methods to improve their R&D and address the societal concerns regarding animal testing. Equally ECVAM’s output depends on the work and input of its stakeholders. Notably, valuable scientific, technical and societal expertise resides within the stakeholder community.
How will ESTAF be established?
ECVAM is publishing an Open Invitation addressed to stakeholder organisations that can – if fulfilling the criteria outlined below – submit an expression of interest in the ECVAM Stakeholder Forum (ESTAF).
Which organisations can submit an expression of interest?
All Stakeholder Organisations able to demonstrate that they
- have a passive or active stake in the area of alternative methods to animal testing, i.e. are affected by or do affect the development (including relevant basic research) / optimisation / validation / use of alternative methods with respect to scientific, technical, societal, ethical or other issues.
- they operate on European (EU) level (exceptions may apply).
Submitting an expression of interest
For preparing and submitting an Expression of Interest please visit ECVAM’s website.
To be admissible, Expressions of Interest must be submitted following the procedure outlined and be based on the downloadable "ESTAF Expression of Interest Form".
Stakeholder Organisations are encouraged to identify already in the ESTAF Expression of Interest Form a possible Representative who may, in case of selection of the organisation for ESTAF, participate on behalf of the organisation in ESTAF.
Expressions of interest can be submitted by
- the person intended to represent the stakeholder organisation at ESTAF in case of selection (= the Representative) or
- any other person entitled to do so by the stakeholder organisation (= the Submitter)
Expressions of Interest can be submitted continuously and will be regularly evaluated by ECVAM.
To be taken into account for possible participation in the first meeting of the ESTAF in spring 2011, Expressions of Interest need to be submitted to ECVAM via the official route before 15 January 2011.
Role of the ESTAF
ESTAF's roles will be:
- Advocacy: allow the representation of vested and specific interests, including the voicing of societal concerns (e.g. animal welfare issues, consumer issues, sustainable testing).
- Dialogue: maintain active dialogue in view of sharing and disseminating information on ECVAM's work and that of stakeholders, discussing ECVAMs activities and harvesting stakeholder expertise and opinion as input into ECVAM's priority setting.
Representatives to the ESTAF
If selected by ECVAM, Stakeholder Organisations fulfilling the Eligibility Criteria may be invited to assign a Representative to the ESTAF. ECVAM reserves the right to select among eligible stakeholder organisations those which it deems most suitable in view of fulfilling ESTAF’s role.
Although Representatives are formally participating on behalf of their organisation and not due to personal qualifications, Representatives should preferably have the necessary scientific & technical or other expertise to support ESTAF and its role. Representatives should be fluent in English, the working language of ESTAF.
To ensure transparency of the type of advocacy present in the ESTAF, stakeholder organisations represented in the ESTAF, need to declare their specific (vested) interests and how they conduct advocacy for their stake (Advocacy Statement).
Meetings & Operation
- ESTAF will typically meet once a year.
- Working language will be English.
- Requests, input and collaborative activities will be addressed also through written procedure and using an internet-based forum for information exchange.
- ESTAF may at any point suggest additional stakeholders for participation.
- The first meeting is foreseen for Spring 2011.
Cost of meetings
- The meetings will be organised by the European Commission / JRC / ECVAM who will carry the cost of the meeting venue.
- However, travel, hotel cost and subsistence for attending the meetings will have to be carried by the Stakeholder Organisation.